Peaceful Thinking

Peaceful Thinking

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Fish by Elizabeth Bishop

           One specific part in the poem that I liked was "five old pieces of fish-line,or four and a wire leader with the swivel still attached, with all their five big hooks grown firmly in his mouth." This particular part had my attention because it suggests that the fish has been caught numerous times and was thrown back like he wasn't wanted.
           I applied this to my personal life by stating I have felt like the fish by having the feeling of not being wanted or appreciated by the people around me. My friends contsantly take my kindness for a weakness and aren't thankful they have a friend like me.
            For example, I'm always doing favors for my friends and when I need my friends to do something for me, they shut me out and treat me bad until they feel like tossing a hook into me and pull me in to keep doing things for them. Once the favor is done they toss me back out into the water, leaving the next friend to put their hook in me and do the same thing again like a cycle.

2 comments:

  1. Good personal connection, though try to say more about the poem itself--beyond the more apparent literal implications of the images.

    For possible symbolic readings, see comments on Jackson's, Gina's, Florina's, Ashley's (both), Amanda's and Adam's blogs, as well as blogs from previous classes (as noted) and of course the blogs themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good personal relation to the poem, I can see where you got that the fish was beaten up from the environment around him so to speaks.

    There's another section in the poem which also suggests the same thing.

    "Like medals with their ribbons
    frayed and wavering,
    a five-haired beard of wisdom"


    When I read that part, I got that it met a symbolic message of the fish's age. Ever heard that saying " though the fish was wiser"? The image here, "five haired beard of wisdom" kind of is religiously symbolic message that wisdom is highly in relation to having white hair and a beard. Also the the section "medals with their ribbons," depicts an image of a soldier that has returned from battle; giving the sense of age and some sort of honorable stating in society; which projects a sense that the fish has been caught time after time again, and is a surviver.

    ReplyDelete